Much has been told about the inn’s history. On this page, you will find a summary of stories told to the “Blåvandshuk Local History Archive” on January 7th, 1970.
In 1662, the farm, where the inn is located today was founded.
In 1888, Inger and Carl Thisenuis started the “Landevejskro” (Country Road Inn) on the site. In 1903 they got their liquor license. They built a stable, which is today’s banquet hall.
In 1920 the property was bought by a laundry service manager named Sørensen from Copenhagen.
Sørensen used the property as a hunting lodge. He was said to have paid 15.000 DKR for the property, renovated it for 30,000 DKR and sold it for 3500 DKR.
Sørensen was never really happy with his hunting lodge, but he did manage to add waterpipes and electricity. He also chose to have several rooms painted in clashing colors.
After the sale, he bought a plot in Blåvand and built the first brick summerhouse on the grounds.
The association in charge of the village hall in Ho bought the hunting cabin from Sørensen in 1924.
This is how “Ho Kro” came to be in combination with the village hall.
To raise money for the new village hall and inn, a feast was held in the old village hall. Since the inn no longer had a liquor license, a license was applied for, for just this one day.
The stable was later turned into the banquet hall.
They went back to kerosene lamps, although Sorensen had added electric lighting. It seemed too difficult to get everything to work with a generator.
The inn at the old community hall was used for lectures, parties, gymnastics lessons, Christmas celebrations, shows and general meetings. Occasionally it was turned into a cinema, when one of the traveling cinemas passed through town. Also, the craftsman association met here and a lady who came all the way from Varde gave dance lessons. In 1934, Ho got a new school. The old school was bought by a farm owner who gave it to the craftsman Association. In the 1950s the gymnastics club dissolved due too few members.
The first few years, the inn was operated by different tenants. Among others, Otto Jørgensen from Vejers and his wife tried their luck for a year with the inn. There was still no liquor license for the inn. The license did not return until 1976!
In 1938 Harriet and Martin Nielsen took over. Electric lights were put in, the restrooms moved and in the early 1950s water was added to the kitchen. Harriet and Martin Nielsen got the liquor license back to the inn, in the last year they were there in 1976. In addition to being innkeeper, Martin also drove a taxi, and he also drove around and leased out a washing machine.
They had two girls to help them. The girls each had a chamber in the attic. The hosts stayed downstairs. Their living room is today’s restaurant and their bedroom and their son Herløv’s room is today’s “hunting lounge”. Although the Inn had no liquor license in most of Harriet and Martin’s time, reportedly there still was a cheerful atmosphere in the inn. Of course, a bottle of brandy under the table can be quite helpful with that!
Harriet and Martin’s son and daughter in law in recent years took over the lease of the inn.
As the years went by, the place became more of an inn rather than a village hall. Today it is known as “Ho Kro”, and until March 1st, 2010 was owned by the association “Ho Kro & Village Hall” which operates the annual sheep market.
On July 1st, 2008, we took over the lease on “Ho Kro”. After 14 hectic days, we opened our doors for the first time on July 15th, 2008. After 1 1/2 years as tenants, we decided to buy the inn, which we did March 1st, 2010. Our goal with “Ho Kro” has always been clear: “Ho Kro” is an inn that is the setting for cozy moments with good food and fine drinks. In the kitchen, you will find dishes with international influences, prepared fresh daily from basic ingredients. Our style leans on classic French gourmet cuisine, but with modern influences from current gastronomic trends. The restaurant at “Ho Kro” has 2 smaller rooms and one larger lounge. In total, there is room for about 35 people. The atmosphere is casual and comfortable with many old memories. If the Danish summer weather is in a good mood, we serve outside on our large terrace with views of the Bay. For private events, we have a banquet hall with capacity for 100 people. If you would like to know about the inn’s history – see “History”
If you would like to know more about the hosts then click on “Hosts”
Pictures of the inn from before and from these days can be found in our
“Gallery” – see the danish version of this homepage.
Get more information on the sheep market on www.hofaaremarked.dk
The old village hall was created in about 1894 when some locals bought a plot in the city of Ho. They built a small house – probably with volunteers – consisting of room, a small room, a kitchen, a foyer and a restroom. There were tables and benches that belonged to the room and a small stage.
The kitchen had no running water, and was mostly used for coffee brewing.
The heating came from an iron drum oven and light came in the form of kerosene lamps.
There were no hosts for the village hall. People had to cook and arrange tables and benches themselves.
The house has since been demolished and the village hall moved to the inn.
Contributors are: Harriet & Martin Nielsen, Alfred Johnsen, Otto Jørgensen and Herløv Nielsen.
Original photos are available at Blåvandshuk Local History Archive.
To know more about the history of the area visit the museum “Tirpitz”
4 km from Ho Kro – vardemuseerne.dk